Main Menu

Thursday, June 7th, 2018

 

Soccer-Iceland's World Cup send-off spoiled as Ghana draw 2-2

June 7 (Reuters) – Iceland looked set to finish their World Cup preparations with a flourish but a late equaliser by Thomas Partey spoiled the party and they had to settle for a 2-2 draw with Ghana in their final warm-up in Reykjavik on Thursday.

Famed for their physique and set-piece prowess, the home side gave a taste of things to come in Russia in the sixth minute when defender Kari Arnasson headed home a corner via a defender to put them ahead.

Iceland made it two before the break, Alfred Finnbogason nodding into an empty net after a superb attack that ended with Gylfi Sigurdsson’s shot being palmed into his path by Ghana goalkeeper Lawrence Ati-Zigi.

Iceland spent the second half absorbing massive pressure from Ghana, who failed to qualify for the finals in Russia, and Kasim Nuhu reduced the deficit in the 66th minute before Partey fired home three minutes from time. (Reporting by Philip O’Connor, editing by Ed Osmond)


UPDATE 1-Ghana to dissolve football association over bribery allegations

(Adds details)

ACCRA, June 7 (Reuters) – Ghana has decided to dissolve its national football association a day after officials, including the body’s president, were shown in a documentary taking kickbacks, the information minister said on Thursday.

The two-hour documentary, “When Greed and Corruption Become the Norm” by undercover journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, was provided to the authorities last month before being screened in public for the first time on Wednesday.

Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kwesi Nyantakyi did not respond to multiple requests for comment. The GFA said it would cooperate with any investigation.

Nyantakyi, who is also a member of the FIFA Council, the world football body’s legislative organ, was filmed in a hotel room taking a $65,000 bribe from a supposed businessman seeking to sponsor the Ghanaian football league.

Information Minister Mustapha Abdul-Hamid said in a statement that the government was shocked and outraged at the contents of the documentary and would refer the alleged culprits to the police for investigation.

“Having regard to the widespread nature of the apparent rot involving top GFA officials, NSA (National Sports Authority) officials, match commissioners, football administrators and referees, Government has decided to take immediate steps to have the GFA dissolved,” he said.

He said the government would soon announce provisional measures to govern football activities until a new association could be formed. (Reporting by Kwasi Kpodo; editing by Aaron Ross, Larry King)


Ghana to dissolve football association over bribery allegations

ACCRA, June 7 (Reuters) – Ghana has decided to dissolve its national football association a day after officials, including the body’s president, were shown in a documentary taking kickbacks, Information Minister Mustapha Abdul-Hamid said on Thursday.

The two-hour documentary, “When Greed and Corruption Become the Norm” by undercover journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, was provided to the authorities last month before being screened in public for the first time on Wednesday.

Association President Kwesi Nyantakyi did not respond to multiple requests for comment. The Football Association said it would cooperate with any investigation. (Reporting by Kwasi Kpodo; editing by Aaron Ross, Larry King)


Cour constitutionnelle : Me Joseph Djogbénou élu président

Comme on pouvait s’y attendre, Me Joseph Djogbénou, ancien ministre de la Justice, garde des Sceaux, a été élu président de la Cour constitutionnelle, ce jeudi 7 juin. Une information portée à la connaissance des professionnels des médias et de l’opinion publique à travers un communiqué de presse signé de Gilles Badet, secrétaire général de l’institution. Le vice-président est Razacki Amouda Issifou. Le communiqué de presse informe par ailleurs que la passation de service entre le président sortant et le nouveau a lieu ce vendredi 8 juin au siège de la Cour.


COUS: Favoriser l'accueil des jeunes sur les questions de santé sexuelle

La direction du centre des œuvres universitaires et sociales (Cous) d’Abomey-Calavi a organisé ce jeudi 7 juin à Bohicon un atelier de formation des animateurs des infirmeries universitaires sur l’accueil des jeunes et la santé sexuelle reproductive des adolescents et des jeunes.

Une cinquantaine d’agents de santé ont pris part ce jeudi à l’atelier de formation des animateurs des infirmeries universitaires sur l’accueil des jeunes et la santé sexuelle reproductive des adolescents et des jeunes.

A l’ouverture de cette rencontre, la directrice du Cous, Ghislaine Claude Fagbohoun a rappelé que cette formation est la deuxième activité inscrite au Plan de travail annuel 2018 au titre du deuxième trimestre de l’année au profit du personnel des infirmeries – médecins, infirmiers, secrétaires, aides-soignantes – et les intendants de tous les campus du Cous-AC. Ainsi, cet atelier donne donc l’occasion aux participants de faire le point de la mise en œuvre des recommandations issues de la dernière session. De rappeler et revisiter le contexte de la santé sexuelle et reproductive dans les universités. Puis, de renforcer et d’actualiser les capacités des participants sur cette thématique. Des actions qui permettent au Cous-AC d’être plus présent et plus utile aux étudiants en leur donnant l’opportunité d’adopter des comportements sexuels responsables, gage de succès dans les études universitaires.


Health ministry denies sections of bill on NHIF board member

By OUMA WANZALA
More by this Author

The Ministry of Health on Thursday disowned proposals in the Miscellaneous Amendment (No 2) Bill 2018 that seeks to kick out trade unions, Federation of Kenya Employers (FKE) among others from National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) board.

Director of legislation at the Ministry Mary Wangai told National Assembly’s Health Committee chaired by Swarup Mishra that the initial bill that was sent to the Attorney-General’s office had no proposal to remove other stakeholders from the board.

“We were also supervised when we saw the changes in the bill that was tabled at the National Assembly,” said Dr Wangai who said she was unable to pinpoint who introduced the changes.

Current stakeholders

On Thursday, Health Cabinet Secretary Sicily Kariuki told the committee that it will be important to retain the current stakeholders on the board as provided in the current Act.

The stakeholders on the board  are FKE, Central Organisation of Trade Unions, one person nominated by Kenya National Union of Teachers and Kenya Union of Post-Primary Education Teachers, Kenya Medical Association and a faith-based organisation.

“However, each organisation should be requested to nominate three candidates from whom the Cabinet Secretary will make the appointment from the organisation to allow for adherence to the constitutional requirement of taking into account gender, disability and regional balance,” said Mrs Kariuki.

However, the decision by the ministry to replace the Director of Medical Services in the board with another person attracted heated debate.


Accident-prone Verstappen threatens to 'head-butt someone'

By AFP
More by this Author

Max Verstappen told reporters on Thursday that he would “head-butt” the next one to ask him about his crash-laden start to the 2018 Formula One season.

Displaying at a routine news conference much of the impetuosity that is characteristic of his on-track behaviour this season, the 20-year-old Dutchman reacted strongly to a series of questions about his racing.

Asked why he had experienced so many crashes, he paused before he said: “I don’t know. But as I said at the start, I am tired of these questions and if I get any more I am going to head-butt someone.”

The Red Bull driver has been involved in incidents at every one of the six race weekends this year, but claimed it was not “as dramatic as people say”.

Verstappen, who made a sensational teenage arrival in F1 with a victory on his debut with Red Bull at the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix, crashed in practice at the Monaco Grand Prix two weeks ago and had to start from the back of the grid.

That was one of two accidents this year that he acknowledged were his fault, and the 20-year-old Dutchman reacted tetchily to further questions about his record.

“I’m really tired of all the comments about me — that I should change my approach,” he said. “I will never do that. It has brought me to where I am right now and after the race is not the right time to talk.”

He added: “I don’t listen to it anyway. I just do my own thing.

“Of course it hasn’t being going that well in the way I like it. A few mistakes, especially Monaco and China, but it doesn’t make sense to keep talking about it.”
Verstappen has failed to finish in two of the six races this season with a best result of third in Spain last month.

He sits sixth in the standings some 75 points behind leader Lewis Hamilton and with less than half the number of his Australian Red Bull team-mate Daniel Ricciardo.

“I’m confident I can turn things around,” he said. “I’ve always been fast and the pace is there every single weekend.”


Barcelona name club legend as sports director

By AFP
More by this Author

Former France full-back Eric Abidal was named sports director at his former club Barcelona on Thursday, the Spanish champions said in a statement.

The 38-year-old Abidal, who also played for French Ligue 1 giants Monaco and Lyon, spent six years as a player in Catalonia but his career was interrupted by a tumour in his liver in 2011.

A year later he needed a liver transplant and played only five league matches in his final season with Barcelona, although he managed to play on for another 18 months, first with Monaco and then Olympiakos, after leaving.

Abidal remained an iconic figure at Barca, though, after battling back from his liver troubles to play in the 2011 Champions League final, and last year was made a club ambassador.

He played 67 times for France.


Investigators hunt for clues over FlySax plane crash

By WAIKWA MAINA
More by this Author
By KENNEDY KIMANTHI
More by this Author

Rescue workers are combing through the debris of an aircraft that crashed in the Aberdare Forest looking for clues to establish the cause of the accident that claimed ten lives.

All the bodies of the victims were recovered after a day-long search led a multiagency team of 300 men largely comprised of locals into the thick dense forest.

The bodies were transported by road to Lee Funeral in Nairobi where identification will take place.

“We will now head to the  identification stage,” said Mr Pius Maasai of the National Disaster Management Unit, Personal items belonging to the victims were collected and handed over to NDMU.

Those involved in the search mission described to the Nation the site of a deadly impact of the crash which was only visible about 13km into the forest.

Aerial search teams sighted the wreckage at the peak of the ranges in the morning before they made their way to the place. The team included the Nyandarua County disaster management, Kenya Red Cross, Kenya Police  and Kenya Forestry Service.

FlySax planeBodies of FlySax plane passengers are retrieved from Aberdare Range on June 7, 2018. PHOTO | NATION MEDIA GROUP

Nyandarua Governor Francis Kimemia said the difficulty in accessing the crash site amplified the need for adequate disaster response capacity across the country.  “I urge national government to cascade emergency management capacity to 47 counties to improve preparedness and rapid response,” he said.

Daniel Kariuki, who was among the first group that left for the forest at around 6am together with KWS and KFS wardens said at the crash site, there were several scorched trees and countless pieces of scattered debris spread across an area up to 2km in diameter. A second team left the forest edge at around 11 am and entered the forest to provide support to the earlier team.

The plane’s black box was also recovered and broken pieces of the wings scattered.

“The front of the plane appeared burnt. Pieces of the plane looked like they had smouldered after the impact,” Kariuki said.

The plane’s wreckage was found below the Mugongo wa Njogu Hill, or the Elephant Point which is popular with tourists and Christians who worship inside the forest.

FlaySax plane crashRelatives of the FlaySax plane crash victims comfort each other at Weston Hotel, Nairobi, on May 7, 2018. PHOTO | MARTIN MUKANGU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

It is the peak of the Aberdare range. Njabini deputy county commissioner Daniel Nyameti, who was in charge on communications at the Command Centre said that the plane landed about 500 metres down after crashing into Elephant Peak.

BAD WEATHER

To reach here, the search team had to endure harsh cold weather, steep terrain and bushes.

“It appears the plane hit the cliff and fell below it,” Kariuki who was soaked in mud said.

It took the team about five hours to access the area which is also home to buffaloes according to the locals. “We had to make small routes inside the forest and mark trees with red ribbons to know our way back.”

Waweru Sisto told of scattered bodies inside and outside the plane. Some of them were badly injured with missing limbs and a decapitated head which were collected altogether.

At the wreckage site, it is still a security zone, and the public was warned against going back until all investigations are complete.

An early morning aerial survey made it easier for the rescue team to trace the bodies and the wreck, but helicopters on standby were unable to access the area due to extreme weather, forcing the rescuers to embark on hours of manual recovery.

plane crashBodies of the passengers who died in a plane crash in Njabini are retrieved from Aberdare Range on June 7, 2018. PHOTO | EVANS HABIL | NATION MEDIA GROUP

The Air Accident Investigation Division of Kenya said until the search and pertinent investigations are complete, it is too early to know what caused the accident.

“Proper procedure has to be followed. We are not even sure if the plane crashed, we are just relying on a signal received from Kinangop,” an official who didn’t wish to be named told the Nation on Wednesday.

SHATTERED HOPES

The announcement of the recovery of the bodies shattered the hopes of families and friends of the crew and passengers who by last evening had arrived at the edge of the forest to receive bodies of their loved ones.

John Mwangi, a friend George Kinyua from Kahawa West in Nairobi, and had accompanied George’s friends in search of their kin narrated how they drove from Nairobi to Njabini, back to Naivasha and back again to Njabini as they tried to gather more information.

“All we know is that we have lost him. But we do not know when and where they will take the bodies. No one is willing to give us a comprehensive report, we need that information to help us plan the way forward,” said Mr Mwangi.

Others complained of inadequate and untimely communication from the government making it impossible for them to plan and organized themselves.

Some of the next of kin kept driving from to and from Naivasha where the aircraft operations were shifted to from Njabini Command Centre.


Premier League dealmaker stepping down after two decades

By AFP
More by this Author

Richard Scudamore, a driving force behind the growth of the Premier League, is planning to step down as executive chairman after almost 20 years, he announced on Thursday.

The 58-year-old Englishman was chief executive from 1999-2014 when he was appointed to his present role which he said he plans to quit by the end of the year.

When he arrived UK TV rights for England’s top division were valued at about £670m ($900million, Sh90 billion). The latest deal has reached £5.14 billion (Sh500 billion).

His announcement came hours after he had revealed the final two packages of the next broadcasting deal beginning in the 2019/20 season and which sees Amazon enter the market for the first time.

Scudamore, who was chief executive of the Football League for two years before joining the Premier League, said the job had been so enjoyable it didn’t feel like it had been work.

“It’s an absolute privilege to have been allowed to enjoy this role for so long, it is too much fun to be called a job,” said Scudamore, who is believed to earn a reported £900,000 a year.

“Football is an intoxicating environment and therefore difficult to give up being so involved, but my passion for what football means to so many and the positive impact it can make will never diminish.”

Scudamore said he will leave the competition in rude health.

“The Premier League is in great shape and the future is bright, of course there are still many things to improve and constant challenges, but that is what makes it so exhilarating,” said Scudamore in a statement on the Premier League web site.

“Because it so compelling, the League’s success will continue under new and re-invigorated leadership,” added Scudamore, who is looking forward to spending more time with his wife and five children and watching his beloved Bristol City, who play in the Football League.

Bruce Buck, chairman of Chelsea and also of the Premier League Audit and Remuneration Committee, paid a handsome tribute to Scuadmore.

“I speak for all the clubs when I say we are very sorry that Richard will be leaving, but we could not have asked for anything more from him,” said Buck.
“For 20 years he has led the Premier League with distinction.

“Whilst probably best known for the outstanding growth he has delivered, most importantly he commands the respect of everyone in football for the dignified and positive way he has managed the complexities of keeping the league together and moving us forward.”

Buck added that a replacement for Scudamore should be announced so there is no disruption to the smooth running of the organisation.

“The Premier League Board and the Audit Committee have been working on how we will replace Richard,” said Buck.

“We expect to make an appropriate appointment in good time so there can be a seamless transition.”